Music news

New campaign launched to help gig-goers get home safely

todayApril 3, 2025 5

Background
share close

viagogo x UBER x Strut Safe's #SAVETHENUMBER campaign.

A paid for ad feature for viagogo

Non-profit organisation Strut Safe has launched a new campaign to help music fans get home safely after late-night gigs with the #SAVETHENUMBER initiative, supported by viagogo and Uber.

The campaign has been launched to raise awareness around Strut Safe’s non-judgemental support line [0333 335 0026], which is operational between 7pm and 3am every Friday and Saturday evening, as well as 7pm and 1am on Sundays. “If you’re walking alone, our volunteers will be a friendly voice to keep you company and help you feel safe until you are through the door,” said the non-profit.

As part of the #SAVETHENUMBER campaign, viagogo is offering a £10 discount code on rides across the UK for anyone travelling to or from gigs. The code [ruGtzslERHA] will go live at 8pm this Friday (April 4) and is valid between 8pm and 6am every night. The code can only be redeemed once per Uber user.

“The increase in calls to Strut Safe reflects ongoing safety concerns around travelling alone at night, especially among people of marginalised genders,” said Strut Safe Director Of Strategy Michelle Kelly. “Raising awareness of the resources available is crucial to help all people feel empowered to participate fully in public life.”

“We welcome the news of more people embracing solo travel and independent experiences while recognising the complex ways in which experiences of marginalisation can pose barriers to these activities,” she added. “We are thrilled to partner with viagogo and Uber to continue our work in helping UK fans get home from live events safely.”

viagogo x UBER x Strut Safe's #SAVETHENUMBER campaign.
Strut Safe’s #SAVETHENUMBER campaign

“At viagogo, our mission is to help more fans access live events,” said viagogo’s Matt Drew. “That’s why we’re going beyond the event itself – partnering with leading support line Strut Safe and Uber to help address some of the barriers fans experience so they can enjoy a great night out from start to finish.”

The #SAVETHENUMBER campaign follows new research from viagogo that found more than a quarter of women (27 per cent) would be keen to attend gigs by themselves if they felt safer travelling home afterwards. The study spoke to 1000 gig-goers last month and according to the results, the biggest worry for Brits journeying home solo from gigs is walking alone (35 per cent), however women (41 per cent) and LGBTQIA+ individuals (37 per cent) are disproportionately affected.

Despite those concerns, nearly half of women (47 per cent) say they’ve found themselves in situations where they would have used a support line or safety tool but didn’t. Many hesitate to call for support – even when feeling unsafe – due to fear of disturbing loved ones (18 per cent), causing unnecessary worry (16 per cent), or being judged (12 per cent).

“Too often, people dismiss their desire for a little support as an ‘overreaction.’ Sadly, it’s a mindset we’ve been conditioned to accept. But the truth is, if that’s how you’re feeling, it’s valid — and completely understandable in today’s world,” explained Strut Safe volunteer Gracie.

“Our mission is simple: to offer company to anyone who could benefit from a friendly voice while they walk. We understand that sometimes, people don’t want to disturb their parents, partners, or friends, or might not have anyone to call. That’s why we’re here — not to judge, but to listen. Whether it’s for two minutes or two hours, we’re happy to chat or wait quietly on the line offering support whenever it’s needed.”

To find out more about Strut Safe, head here.

The post New campaign launched to help gig-goers get home safely appeared first on NME.

Written by: Brady Donovan

Rate it